Wednesday 4 May 2011

Project Update: On Your Bike

Hello!

I thought I'd share some of the things I've been looking into recently.

1.  Luxrender - this is a renderer which is "unbiased" i.e. should provide a physically accurate render.  It can also utilise the spare GPU power for rendering.  It can be used within Blender itself as well as externally.

2.  Cycles - this is a "work in progress" overhaul for the Blender internal renderer.  This will also use GPU power, as well as being a more "accurate" renderer in terms of light simulation etc.  This is in a very early stage of development, but I am incredibly excited by this news.

So, what's the knock on effect?
The effect of all this is that I'm taking some time to do some research into the different renderers.  Luxrender will give me a good idea for how "modern" renderers work and will allow me to understand what changes will be required to current models.  The work on the Blender renderer, I would imagine, will go through to the end of this year, meaning that any "production" rendering wouldn't start until 2012.

So what are you telling us all this for?
I'd like your thoughts on this.  I want to produce the best looking version that I can, and technologies available or in production will help with that.  The added benefit of GPU acceleration would be welcome also, as it would allow for faster rendertimes.

However, I'd like to know what you think about this.  Please feel free to add your comments below and let's get a discussion going about this.  It's exciting times for Blender users, but this is a remake for the fans.

Andy

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, I don't have much information to provide on this subject. I think I tried luxrender once 3-5 years ago, then again it might have been indigo, yafray (pre yafaray) or 2 others I can't think of the names right now.

    I never dug into details enough to form an opinion as to which is better. Mainly I waiting for GPU acceleration. The video on blender nation showing it in action looks nice.

    ReplyDelete